Monday, January 20, 2014

The Daniel Diet Plan - My Personal Story

 
 
 
 
     I finally got back to the gym a couple of months ago and was working out on the elliptical.  I turned on the TV attached to the machine and caught the end of the Dr. Oz show.  The show's content, in case you have never seen it, covers all kinds of health topics.
     On the Oz show that day, one of the topics was something called the "Daniel Diet" and a Pastor on the show was talking about how the diet worked.  I didn't catch very much of the show, but a few days later, there was an article in the paper about this same Diet.  So, like every typical American does, I "googled" the topic.
     Between internet searches and reading a book on the topic, the following are a few things that I learned about the Daniel Diet.
     A pastor named Rick Warren named this diet the Daniel Diet, based on what Daniel (yes, the Daniel that was thrown into the lion's den) from the Old Testament ate.  It was written that Daniel declined the Babylonian king's offer of his fancy, rich meals and chose to eat mainly vegetables, seeds, etc. because he felt that it was better for his body.
     Getting back to Pastor Warren, he got together with some Doctors to put the plan together. What they came up with is a plan that aims to combine the factors of faith, food, fitness, focus and community to help make the plan successful.
     The name of the plan varies a bit.  Sometimes it is called the Daniel Fast, sometimes the Daniel Diet or the Daniel Plan, and sometimes the Daniel Cure, depending upon your purposes and goals.
 
 
     The Daniel Fast is a 21-day partial fast. ("At that time I, Daniel, mourned for three weeks. I ate no choice food; no meat or wine touched my lips; and I used no lotions at all until the three weeks were over.”  Daniel 10:2-3)
      The fast is plant-based and your only beverage for three weeks is water.  You can eat all fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, nuts, seeds, quality oils, herbs and seasonings. Juice can be used as an ingredient in recipes, but not as a beverage.  Foods not allowed include all animal and dairy products, sweeteners (including stevia, honey, etc.), deep-fried foods, processed and refined foods, artificial flavorings, chemicals and preservatives.  Also not allowed are alcohol, caffeine, coffee, tea, leavening or solid fats. 
     The Daniel Fast is not supposed to be about deprivation or giving up on flavor.  What you are fasting from are the foods that can contaminate your body.  As many eating experts say, it is suggested that you have five or six small meals, versus two or three big meals.
     The Daniel Fast also focuses more on spirituality and relying more on "God Power," versus willpower.
  
 
     The Daniel Diet or the Daniel Plan is a less strict version of the Daniel Fast.  Basically, it's eating healthy for a longer period of time (ie 40 days) or as a lifetime choice.  For instance, with the Daniel Plan, you are allowed to have meat, but the goal is to see protein as a side dish, versus the main part of your meal.
  
 
     The Daniel Cure is basically used to describe what a healthy eating plan can do for your body. Besides losing fat, some other benefits are said to include a sense of well-being and increased energy, reduction in things such as inflammation, blood pressure, an improvement in antioxidant defense and working against type 2 diabetes and cardiovascular disease.
   
     What appealed to me and caught my attention about "Daniel's" eating plan was the Faith aspect.  The book that I have on the plan actually comes with some daily devotionals, which is rather nice, as it certainly simplifies things.
     Two weeks ago from today I decided to undertake the 21-day fast.  However, I knew that the biggest issue was going to be the fact that I really, really, really enjoy my coffee in the morning, especially in the Winter.  So, I have spent the last two weeks weaning myself from the caffeine.  Yesterday was the first time that I went without any coffee, so I started my Daniel Fast today!
     If you are interested in finding out more about the Daniel Fast/Diet/Cure, there is plenty of information on the internet.
     Meanwhile, I am going to keep a log of sorts of how things are going - pretty much like my journaling when I had my jaws wired shut.  However, the Daniel Fast will be much more relevant to 99.9% of the population than the jaws thing was!
     Speaking of the "jaws episode," my choices of foods have been absolutely terrible since the wires and screws were taken out of my mouth.  I think it's pretty much a psychological thing, but my poor diet the last few months is a large factor in why I am looking to do something better for my health.
     I am eager to see what a difference this "diet" may or may not make in both my physical well-being, as well as the spiritual side of me, which I could always use some help with!

Thanks for reading!

Jayne

4 comments:

  1. Awesome Jayne!! I've never heard off the Daniel diet.. What a great concept: meat as a side dish!! You should look into some paleo recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Barbie, several of my family members are doing the Paleo diet right now. It seems a little more "extreme" than the Daniel Fast from what I understand, but I do intend on checking into it further!

      Delete
    2. Have you compared the Daniel Plan with Paleo yet? I'd be most interested to read your comments on the differences and similarities between Paleo and the Daniel Plan.

      Delete